Tuesday, July 15, 2014

On to Virginia

We had a nice quiet sleep in Lebanon, except for once when I thought I thought I heard the Mustang start up (it's kind of loud), and I went to peek out and make sure someone wasn't trying to steal it.  When we left home, " our son, Sean, said, "I hope I see that car again," and until then I hadn't really entertained the thought of it being a collectible car, one that would catch someone's eye, and make them want to steal it.   I guess in the back of my mind, now that had become a concern.

The cool front had blown in, and now traveling with no air conditioning was going to be pleasant for a while!

I had tried to find a nice stop along I-40 to break up the drive, and decided we would swing north to Cummins Falls State Park, which was just 10 miles off of the road.  However, when we reached the turn off, it was a bit cool for swimming (hard to believe!), so we went 10 miles south of I-40 to Burgess Falls State Park instead.  It was better for hiking, and boasted three beautiful falls along it's River Trail.  I knew Saleen would vote for this option, if she had a vote.  She's no swimmer, but she LOVES to hike. 



(For an idea of scale, notice the swimmers at the bottom of the falls).



We had our picnic lunch at the tables there at the park, and I discovered my new favorite hummus flavor:


You should try it!

We headed on east, and as we reached the Appalachians, the surroundings just grew greener, lusher, and soon we saw those too familiar rolling hills.  It felt good to be back!





One really strange chance meeting happened at a rest area in Virginia when we stopped in to grab a map.  As usual, men in the parking lot started walking up to admire the car, and one man was headed home to Belfast, Maine, which is right where Keith's parents live.  Keith told him we were excited to go to the Lobster Festuval in Rockland, and he told us to look him up in the lobster boat races, and he would take us out on his boat!  Sweet!  Now we just need to get him to haul in lobster while we are on the boat!!!!

We made it into Daleville, and drove past the trail where we walked out of the woods on the Appalachian Trail two years ago. Good night everyone.   Tomorrow we see Elise and Daniel!!!

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo, new blog! I love these pictures. So excited to see you guys tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like soooo much fun, can't wait to see you guys up close and personal!!!

    ReplyDelete