Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Where's Waldo?


Sorry I haven't blogged this trip in a while, but I've been on vacation.  Haha!

I am getting this caught up in the car as we travel south to New Jersey to visit Keith's cousin, Lori. We saw the flash floods on the news this morning, but will be avoiding those area. However, we will be driving through rain. Ugh. 

Back where we continue with the blog, we began our day with another Belfast waterfront walk.  Saleen always gets to greet quite a few dogs on these walks, and so far, likes every dog she meets!

Today we were checking on the progress of a HUGE yacht that is being worked on. The mast has been on the ground everytime we walk by, and the mast alone costs a million dollars.  Wow. 

Here's the boat:


We asked about when it would be going back intoI  the water, because we hoped to watch that, but it sounds like it may happen after we leave town. Boo. 

That afternoon, we made a trip to Mt. Waldo, which was only 30 minutes from the house. Mr. Geraghty had told us about hiking up there about 30 years ago and stumbling upon something interesting in the woods. Mt.Waldo had been mined for granite for a very long time, and part of it was used to make paving stones that had been used all over the world, from New York City to Red Square in Russia, as well as granite for the Washington Monument. He had found a large pile of these paving stones that had never been used.  He described them as all being very uniform in size and shape, like little loaves of bread, rectangular with rounded tops. 

Keith really wanted to try and find them, if they were still around.  Also, we were told it was a really nice hike.  So we headed out to find Waldo, and the elusive paving stones!  

Along the way we found a nice old quarry that was now a sweet swimming hole!  Keith warned me of the leeches in the water, and even pointed one out. I asked him if they hurt ("no"), if they carry diseases ("no"), and if I could get them off ("yes").  After all, this southern girl had never swam with leeches.  Once I got my answers, I jumped in. The water was perfect on a rather warm day.  I admit I did enter and exit rather swiftly, and there was no just floating around. I basically made sure I outswam any leeches!  I'm happy to report that none found me. Here's a few pics from the hike and the beautiful view. 




Oh!  And a huge perk to hiking in Maine - wild blueberries!  Everywhere!  I may have eaten one or two - hundred. 




Oh, and at one point, I'm hiking along, trying to watch my footing, but also the view at the same time.  And I came across this;   



You know when you really just catch a glance of something and it startles you?  Well, my mind told me this was a snake, and I may have yelled a bit and done the snake dance. 

We never did find those paving stones, but did come back to the mountain two days later and make another attempt,  after we interrogated Keith's dad, now that we knew the trail.  We finally did bring home four rectangular paving stones, but they did not have rounded tops. Keith replaced one of his dad's sidewalk squares with four of the stones set in a nice pattern, so now he has a little peice of Mt. Waldo right in his front yard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment